There’s always something special about this time of year! As everyone gears up for Black Friday, Super Saturday and Cyber Monday — it’s my pleasure to shed some light on #GivingTuesday! This unique event will take place on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 — and with your help, we can all make it a fabulous moment in history! The goal behind #GivingTuesday, is to launch a day dedicated to giving — at the beginning of the official holiday shopping season — in efforts & focus on “giving” back.
Charities, retailers, online organizations, families, individuals — will all unite with one common purpose — to help others, as incentive (ways to give and to give back, smarter…and to celebrate the “American” spirit of contribution).
#GivingTuesday is a call to action — celebrating giving, while encouraging better, smarter giving –during the holiday season. But its success depends on a collective of efforts — from each unique group of partners and participants!
“In order to receive, one must GIVE”
This November, the #GivingTuesday campaign provides a framework for Americans to contribute via their communities to help make this holiday season, the biggest giving season yet! As your Global Ambassador — I hope that this feature inspires you all to take a collaborative action — in effort to improve your local community!
Who is involved?
Here is a list of respected “Team of Influencers” who helped conceive and shape the concept for #GivingTuesday:
Charles Best (CEO, DonorsChoose.org)
Matthew Bishop (The Economist)
Kathy Calvin (CEO, UN Foundation)
Sharon Feder (COO, Mashable)
Adam Hirsch (Advisor, Mashable)
Patty Huber (Head of Groupon Grassroots)
Libby Leffler (Strategic Partner Manager, Facebook)
Rob Reich (Professor, Stanford)
Selig D. Sacks (Partner, Foley & Lardner LLP)
Tom Tierney (Chairman, Bridgespan Group)
Henry Timms (Deputy Executive Director, 92nd Street Y)
Colleen Giles Timms (Co‐Creator, GivingTuesday)
Andrew Watt (President and CEO, Association of Fundraising Professionals)
Hank Goldstein (Principal, The Oram Group Inc.)
Troy Carter (Founder, Chairman and CEO, The Atom Factory)
If you would like to get involved — here are some chic ideas:
- Launch a special campaign to support your favorite cause.
- Partner with major philanthropic media channels and aggregators.
- Invite your company to match employees’ donations on that day.
- Create a dynamic online giving initiative for #GivingTuesday.
- Invite your organization to commit a portion of proceeds on #GivingTuesday to your favorite cause.
- Create a volunteering initiative.
- Invite your local retailers to add a donation to purchases for a charity for #GivingTuesday.
- Announce a donation or new initiative of your own on your blog or social media channels.
- Partner with shops to donate a portion of sales to a charity on #GivingTuesday.
- Organize a local toy drive, consignment sale or holiday goods sale to raise money and goods for charity.
- Organize a holiday bake sale or pre‐order for baked goods on #GivingTuesday which will be ready for the holiday.
You can also help spread the message by following #GivingTuesday:
- Facebook ‐ www.facebook.com/GivingTuesday
- Twitter @GivingTues or and use the #GivingTuesday hashtag
- Pinterest ‐ http://pinterest.com/givingtuesday/giving‐quotes/
- Submit a video to our You Tube channel
- Share your favorite giving quote or image on our Tumblr
- Share our all of our social media channels in your organizational and personal social networks
- Participate in a “Thunderclap” of social media to announce #GivingTuesday has begun (see next section) Announce your participation in #GivingTuesday to your networks and email lists 6
My plans for the holidays (besides being your FAB Global Ambassador) — is to deliver the best deals in beauty, fashion and lifeSTYLE (in time for Black Friday & Cyber Monday) — and in return, donate 20% of all proceeds to non profits via The Goddess Project! Plus, as your official Beverly Johnson beauty ambassador — I will be gifting luxury gifts to those who spend $50 or more for their loved ones this holiday season…courtesy of Beverly Johnson & myself (Sapphire Kharyzma) !!! So I guess you can say — my #GivingTuesday is every day!!